Nigerian Presidency Condemns ‘Unauthorised’ Parliament Blockade

“The unlawful act, which was done without the knowledge of the presidency, is condemnable and completely unacceptable,” said a statement issued later by Osinbajo’s office.

A spokesman for Vice President Yemi Osinbajo said in comments on Twitter that DSS head Lawal Musa Daura had been fired. Osinbajo is acting president for Muhammadu Buhari, who is out of the country on holiday. “The unlawful act, which was done without the knowledge of the presidency, is condemnable and completely unacceptable,” said a statement issued later by Osinbajo’s office. “The unlawful act, which was done without the knowledge of the presidency, is condemnable and completely unacceptable,” said a statement issued later by Osinbajo’s office. Read more...
Yemi Osinbajo
Yemi Osinbajo

A blockade of Nigeria’s parliament on Tuesday by security forces that prevented lawmakers from entering for up to an hour was done without the presidency’s knowledge, said the acting president who sacked the head of the security agency.

Armed men wearing the black uniform of the Department of State Security (DSS) stood at the gates of the building in the capital Abuja and were later joined by police officers, witnesses said.

Images of the blockade were shared widely on social media.

A spokesman for Vice President Yemi Osinbajo said in comments on Twitter that DSS head Lawal Musa Daura had been fired. Osinbajo is acting president for Muhammadu Buhari, who is out of the country on holiday.

“The unlawful act, which was done without the knowledge of the presidency, is condemnable and completely unacceptable,” said a statement issued later by Osinbajo’s office.

It described the move as an “unauthorised takeover of the National Assembly complex” which was “a gross violation of constitutional order, rule of law and all accepted notions of law and order”.

SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Get your daily Nigeria Rendezvous news like this and more. Enter your details:

The statement gave no reason for Daura’s dismissal.

The blockade came amid heightened tensions between lawmakers and the presidency. A raft of parliamentarians have quit Buhari’s ruling party over the last few weeks and joined the main opposition.

Buhari plans to seek a second term in the February 2019 presidential vote but the loss of influential figures and divisions within his party could cost him support from powerful patronage networks and among voters.

– Reuters

You Care About This Story? Share or Comment

Fact Check: We strive for accuracy and fairness. If you discover something that does not look right here, contact us at Nigeria Rendezvous. Do you have a story for publication? Send it now for free publication here on Nigeria Rendezvous. Follow us on Twitter, Google+, Pinterest.




Discover More Awesome Content

Bukola Saraki Calls For Parliament Blockade Probe The leader of Nigeria’s Senate on Wednesday called for an investigation into a blockade of parliament by security forces and said it was an attempt to secure his impeachment but stopped short of sayin...
Buhari to Sign 2018 Budget On Wednesday Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari will sign the 2018 budget into law on Wednesday, a presidency spokesman said. Femi Adesina, in an emailed statement issued on Tuesday, said the spending plan p...
Buhari Selects Tinubu to Head APC Reconciliation Team A former governor of Lagos and leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress Bola Ahmed Tinubu has been selected to lead the party’s consultation, reconciliation and confidence-building efforts, a pr...
Muhammadu Buhari Endorsed By Kano State All Progressives Congress (APC) The Kano State chapter of the governing All Progressives Congress (APC) on Thursday adopted President Muhammadu Buhari as its candidate for the 2019 general elections. The leadership of the party and ...

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment
  Subscribe  
Notify of